Sunday, January 21, 2018

A pig is not as bad as a bull in a china closet

Amidst the shattered lives of so many of the people I love and care about near and far, I feel overwhelming sadness and I find myself searching desperately for hope, for the love in life that I know exists, for the tiny treasured moments that make life rich and beautiful. As I weigh in my mind and heart what seems insurmountably heavy, I find the simple (potentially trivial) happenings around me to be profound (and delightful). 

A man and his dog.


A really cool human.


I look at the mountain that looms in our backyard and I marvel... every day. It's always changing. It's always there. It (always) takes my breath away. 




I've been observing the various responses to fatigue in our household:
Madigan: excessive energy, accompanied by loud (did I mention LOUD?!), nonsensical chatter profound statements of fact.
Paugie: tears. A. Lot. Of. Tears. About everything. And nothing.
Lochlan: Screaming. Grunting, Moaning, Laughing. In that order.
Kelton: The implementation of every bad idea he has/hasn't had.


Everyone needs a horse knocking on their door, with a knicker in greeting.


Great. White. Dog.


He is starting to use sign language - when cajoled and bribed. :-) We're insanely proud!





Gumpai and his shadow. 




True things I say in a day:
"Madigan, Kelton, please stop standing on the poop." (manure pile)
"Stop snorting... I can't hear."
"Please don't burp so loudly when I'm on the phone. It's hard to explain to the person I'm talking to."
"Pee in the cup... we don't have time to stop." Again. Since our last pee stop was 2 minutes ago. And 10 minutes before that. And...
"I'm going to go feed the horses. Please make sure nothing is demolished (or "remodeled") while I'm out."
"Okay, let's hoof it! We've got a mountain to conquer!" (usually no more than 4 miles, if truth be told, but every hike is "mountainous" at this stage of the game.
"If you sprinkle when you tinkle, be a sweetie and wipe the seatie." 200 times a day. And don't forget to put the toilet seat down. And flush. Please.






I headed out the door for an early morning hike, leaving Daddy in charge, and Kelton sleepily grabbed my leg and said, "Mama, I'm feeling loving." And so, I never left. Just kidding. 


Madigan (with great authority, whilst conversing with Paugie): "A Pig is not as bad as a bull in a china closet." Obviously. 



I grab this human and hold him more tightly. 





No comments: